Oriental Bird Club supports conservation work in the Oriental region by encouraging studies of birds and their habitats.
Through the generous support of members and corporate sponsors, the OBC Conservation Fund has now supported over 250 projects in many oriental countries, primarily run by local people. More than £200,000 has been invested in conservation in the region since 1984.
Projects funded by the OBC Conservation Fund in 2011
AEC Award and WildWings Award
Beijing Birdwatching Club: Surveys for Jankowski’s bunting in areas predicted using satellite imagery
Iwan Londo: Conservation of Christmas Island Frigatebird in Jakarta Bay, West Java, Indonesia
Small Grants of £1,000–1,500
- Oinam Sunanda Devi: Conservation of Globally Threatened Migratory Bird species of Loktak Lake, a RAMSAR Site in Manipur, India. (This grant is financed by a generous donation from OBC member James Goodhart).
- Mohammad Naeem Awan: Status of the Vulnerable Western Tragopan (Tragopan melanocephalus) in Jhelum Valley, Azad Jammu & Kashmir, Pakistan. (This grant is financed by a generous donation from OBC member James Goodhart).
- Prativa Kaspal: Farmland bird study in Koshi, east Nepal and Lumbini, central Nepal. (This grant is financed by a generous donation from OBC member James Goodhart).
- Sayam Choudhury: Assessing current status of the Black-bellied Tern in Bangladesh
- Prashant Shinde: Saving the White-rumped Vultures (Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary, Raigarh District, Maharashtra, India)
- De-pin Li: Raising Awareness for the Conservation of Birds in Mt. Cangshan National Nature Reserve
- Surya Purnama: Javan Lapwing (Wagler, 1827) Vanellus macropterus Wet-Season Survey In Muara Gembong, West Java
- Suman Sharma: Forest Fire Risk Modelling and its Impacts on Birds Community in Annapurna Conservation Area, Nepal